Nov 28, 2017

Missing Codecs in MongoDB

When upgrading a project’s Mongo driver from 2.13.0 to 3.4.2, we got the following exception:

org.bson.codecs.configuration.CodecConfigurationException: can't find a codec for class java.math.BigDecimal.

Well it seems that Mongo doesn’t support BigDecimal any longer. There we made our own BigdDecimal Codec. If you search for the “can't find a codec for class” error, you inevitably end up at this StackOverflow entry. However that is about saving nested, custom objects into Mongo. If you search for a while longer you will end up in the Mongo docs that has a simple example with Integer. Seems easy to adopt that for BigDecimal.

But when we did that, we got the same error. it seemed like Mongo was just ignoring our call to the CodecRegistry! The problem was what is described here – we were using a BasicDBObject and not a Document so the Mongo driver wasn’t hitting the CodecRegistry.

I made a Gist overview of how we got it working. The key was adding the Transformer via the static class with this line:  BSON.addEncodingHook(BigDecimal.class, new BigDecimalTransformer()); . We needed both that Transformer and the Codec in the registry for it to work.

I hope that this post can save someone else a few hours/days of head-scratching.

About the Author

Mike Hostetler profile.

Mike Hostetler

Principal Technologist

Mike has almost 20 years of experience in technology. He started in networking and Unix administration, and grew into technical support and QA testing. But he has always done some development on the side and decided a few years ago to pursue it full-time. His history of working with users gives Mike a unique perspective on writing software.

One thought on “Missing Codecs in MongoDB

  1. Joerg says:

    Thanks a lot for this post! Had a similar problem when upgraded Apache Camel to a new version (which also includes upgrade of MongoDB Driver), which broke the software I was working on. Camel community pointed out that this is “wanted-by-design” by the new mongo driver, but that didn’t help getting my code work again.
    Than I Implemented a BigDecimal codec like you suggested in your GIST example, worked like a charm!

    So, indeed, your post saved me a LOT “hours/days of head-scratching” :)!

    1. I’m glad my post helped! The fix is not intuitive.

  2. MarcE says:

    Many thanks! Really good work!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Blog Posts
An Exploration in Rust: Musings From a Java/C++ Developer
Why Rust? It’s fast (runtime performance) It’s small (binary size) It’s safe (no memory leaks) It’s modern (build system, language features, etc) When Is It Worth It? Embedded systems (where it is implied that interpreted […]
Getting Started with CSS Container Queries
For as long as I’ve been working full-time on the front-end, I’ve heard about the promise of container queries and their potential to solve the majority of our responsive web design needs. And, for as […]
Simple improvements to making decisions in teams
Software development teams need to make a lot of decisions. Functional requirements, non-functional requirements, user experience, API contracts, tech stack, architecture, database schemas, cloud providers, deployment strategy, test strategy, security, and the list goes on. […]
JavaScript Bundle Optimization – Polyfills
If you are lucky enough to only support a small subset of browsers (for example, you are targeting a controlled set of users), feel free to move along. However, if your website is open to […]