May 14, 2015

List of Groovy versions for each version of Grails

Recently when trying to debug an issue I was having in Grails, I found that the root cause was actually a Groovy bug. After checking the bug tracker, I discovered that the bug was fixed in a future version of Groovy. Unfortunately this would mean having to update Grails, but I couldn’t find a definitive answer on WHICH Groovy version went with a specific version of Grails. Turns out there is no single source that lists this data, even independently for each version. I was able to find a blog post that covered up to Grails 1.3.7 but it hadn’t been updated since 2010. Using that post as a starting point, I decided to compile a list of the Grails-Groovy versions, and the documentation/source of where I gathered the info. I started with Grails 1.2.0, and only included full releases.

If there are any errors/updates, please let me know. I’ll do my best to keep this info up-to-date!

Igor Shults

About the Author

Object Partners profile.

One thought on “List of Groovy versions for each version of Grails

1. Soeren Berg Glasius says:

Judging from the groovy-all pom in grails 2.5.0, groovy is 2.4.3, and for grails 2.4.5 it is groovy 2.3.11

I checked my GVM directory, so perhaps making a short Groovy script that would download the latest grails versions would reveal this… Also, you could probably download the grails pom and look for the groovy-all dependency.

But good job and good idea!

/Søren

1. Igor Shults says:

Thanks Søren! I’ll update the list the next chance I get. I’ll look into the script idea as well.

2. Paco Zarate says:

Igor thank you for this!!
    I was looking for something updated since 2 years ago!! Is it ok to propose it for Grails documentation (maybe for the release notes)?

Also, do you know how we can display the spring version? I have an old app that depends on spring 3 and I am not quite sure to which version I can upgrade.

1. Igor Shults says:

Hi Paco – Yeah, feel free to propose it! I’m glad it’s helpful.

I’m out of the country currently, but I’ll look into getting Spring versions (possibly using a method similar to the one Søren suggested above) when I get back. I’ll post it if I end up having any luck.

3. Michael Glockenstein says:

According to groovy-starter.conf:
    grails 2.3.11 -> groovy 2.1.9 (and so all 2.3.x with x>=2)
    grails 2.4.4 -> groovy 2.3.7

1. Igor Shults says:

Thanks Michael, I’ve updated the list!

1. codemonkey says:

Thank you for this list. It’s super helpful!

4. djavaphp says:

Hi ,
    Which JAVA version will be supported for Grails 2.3.5 with Groovy 2.4 ?
    Is it compartible with JAVA 8?

1. Igor Shults says:

Hey sorry for the late reply. It looks like Grails didn’t officially get Java 8 support until 2.4 (https://jira.grails.org/browse/GRAILS-11063), but that’s based on the default Groovy version. Groovy itself is compatible with Java 8 starting with version 2.3 (http://www.groovy-lang.org/releasenotes/groovy-2.3.html), so it sounds like you *should* be OK, but the problem is that the individual plugins you use may not be compatible with Java 8, since they’re based on the Grails version, and not the Groovy version (for example the database migration plugin: https://jira.grails.org/browse/GPDATABASEMIGRATION-171). So it really depends on your plugins and individual use cases, I believe.

5. Alex says:

Only missing the list with the version of java for each version of groovy.

6. Bilal Ahmed Yaseen says:

And would be good if you may add GORM version as well.

7. Girish says:

List of suitable JAVA versions for each would be nice.
    Do you need help in compiling one?

Your email address will not be published.

Related Blog Posts
Building Better Data Visualization Experiences: Part 1 of 2
Through direct experience with data scientists, business analysts, lab technicians, as well as other UX professionals, I have found that we need a better understanding of the people who will be using our data visualization products in order to build them. Creating a product utilizing data with the goal of providing insight is fundamentally different from a typical user-centric web experience, although traditional UX process methods can help.
Kafka Schema Evolution With Java Spring Boot and Protobuf
In this blog I will be demonstrating Kafka schema evolution with Java, Spring Boot and Protobuf.  This app is for tutorial purposes, so there will be instances where a refactor could happen. I tried to […]
Redis Bitmaps: Storing state in small places
Redis is a popular open source in-memory data store that supports all kinds of abstract data structures. In this post and in an accompanying example Java project, I am going to explore two great use […]
Let’s build a WordPress & Kernel updated AMI with Packer
First, let’s start with What is an AMI? An Amazon Machine Image (AMI) is a master image for the creation of virtual servers in an AWS environment. The machine images are like templates that are configured with […]